These are an AWESOME muffin to start your day. Chocked full of antioxidants and slow burning carbs, these are ideal before hitting the gym for your workout, or your fat burnout. You need energy to rev your body, which in turn gives your metabolism a boost too. You can’t do that without quality carbs. The GREAT thing about these muffins is the amount of fiber. Not only will it keep you fuller longer, but it reduces the absorption of carbs. It takes more energy to process fiberiffic foods and protein, which further lowers the carbs in these muffins. A simple formula is to subtract the fiber in a product from the carbs. The number you get, is the net carb intake. I like this recipe because it’s flexible. You can use whatever fruit you like, flour, spices, oil or puree. It’s easy, and easy to double.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 ¾ cup oats
- ¼ cup + TBS Brown Sugar Splenda
- ⅓ + ½ TBS ground flax seed
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- ¼ c sunflower oil
- ¼ c pureed sweet potato
- 1 cup sour milk*
- 1 cup FRESH cranberries
- Honey or maple syrup for drizzling**
*Place 1 TBS white or apple cider vinegar in measuring cup, and fill the remainder with milk to yield a full cup. Omit if not using dairy.
- Heat that oven to 350⁰ and insert muffin liners.
- Whisk rice flour, ground flax, baking soda & powder, and cinnamon together until combined. Crumble in the Brown Sugar Splenda, add oats and chia seeds. Stir it up!
- Incorporate the remaining wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Fill muffin cups to the top. Note: This isn’t your boxed muffin mix, you will practically mand it gold the muffin tops. It’s gooey, but fun at the same time. Your choice: A drizzle of honey or maple syrup. I went with the honey ave it a nice glaze, and extra sweetness to combat the tart cranberries.
- Bake 20-25 minutes depending on your oven, or until you can smell them. Chances are they’re done.
- Enjoy! These will be better the next day. Just in time for a pre-workout BREAKFAST